Wednesday, February 6, 2013

names on names

Lana?! who's that? oh yeah, that's me!
Not many people know, but my first name's Lana!
Many people go by their first name, but my whole life I've been called by my middle name, Karem.

Maybe because my little sister cici, my mom and I are all Lana's. 
Weird right? tell me about it..
What was my mom thinking? she must of liked her name way too much! 


{K a little background story for you all. When my mom chose to name me Karem, she wasn't sure how she should spell it. So at the time instead of choosing to end my name with a N like everyone else, she chose the most confusing way, to go with the M
In Brasil the pronunciation between N and M's really doesn't matter, it's the same when used at the end of a word, but in America, well that's a whole different story. That's why I just go by Karen. 
Almost no one knows that my name is spelled with a M, because everywhere I write my name I spell it 'kareN' so that there's nooo misunderstandings, those can be soo annoying.}  

Anyway going back to the whole Lana subject.. 

So I guess it's a good thing me and my sister go by our middle names, or else life would be much more confusing.
Once in a while I think, "mmm, maybe I should just go by my first name, that'd be kinda cool, it is different" but whenever I have people call me Lana for a while, I sorta get annoyed, I try so hard to get used to it, but it just doesn't work. I don't know why, it's almost like if that wasn't me. 
Which is kinda weird, because it is my name. My first name.

Then comes my other middle name, Almada. My mom's maiden name. I don't even know why I have it, honestly. It's never ever used, and it's just more work to have to write my whole name down on documents and such.

Last but not least, my last name: CAVALCANTE. 
Does anyone know how to pronounce that? nope. okay maybe a few, like 3-5 people. Never in the first try though. NEVER.

Does anyone know how to spell that? nope. They'll either ALWAYS get it wrong and mix the C with the L so it'll look something like this
---> CAVALANTE or i'll almost always have to spell it out for them. 

Man, I guess you could say I have a really confusing name. Pretty unique I guess.. in its on way.

Nonetheless, I love my name. I wouldn't want to be named anything else. Mostly because I think it'd be really weird if I was named something else; for example, Rachel. That was actually the name my parents planned to give me. 
Can you picture me as a Rachel?? yeah me either. Thank goodness for karem.

Well, this was a really random post. I had been thinking all day about how everyone in college calls me Lana now, and its still pretty weird to me. so it led me to all this randomness... 
I guess now you guys know all about my name, or should I say, names. hehe:)



LANA:German origin, meaning: "precious"
KAREM: I looked it up and well, it has no meaning, because it "could not be found" haha good to know..

KAREN: Danish origin, meaning is "pure,chaste"
CAVALCANTE:Italian origin, meaning: Horse rider. hints how I got "ride-a-horse" as one of my nicknames.


1 comment: